To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Funding for Full-Time Students

Loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries are available for full time undergraduate students from England.

If your funding has been delayed - Guide: Worried about your student finance?

Website: - Student Funding


Students can apply online for their Student Funding by visiting

Phone Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607 for help and advice, or if you would prefer to apply on a paper form.

Support from Student Finance England

Plus Icon Tuition Fee Loan

The Tuition Fee Loan is not income-assessed, so you can usually borrow up to £9,250.

Plus Icon Help with living costs for students starting after September 2016 (figures based on 2020/21)
Maintenance Loan

The Maintenance Loan is for help with living costs, like accommodation, food, travel and leisure. Over half the loan is income assessed. The maximum amount for most students is £9,203 for students living away from their parents’ home, or £7,747 for students living at home.

All students under 60 can get at least £3,410 which is the minimum for a student living at home. The maximum loan for students over 60 years old is £3,893 and all of the loan is income-assessed.

Students who are entitled to benefits while studying can take out up to £10,490 if they are living away from home, or £9,140 if they are living at home.

For a list of scenarios where a full-time student is entitled to benefits, see:
Plus Icon Grants from Student Finance England (figures based on 2020/21)

Parents' Learning Allowance

This is to help with course-related costs if a student has dependent children. They can get up to £1,766 a year depending on their income.

Link: Parents' Learning Allowance

Childcare Grant
This will help with childcare costs for dependent children aged under 15 at the beginning of the academic year - or under 17 if they have special educational needs - in registered or approved childcare. The grant is based on 85% of actual childcare costs, with a maximum grant of £174.22 per week for one child only, or £298.69 per week for two or more children.

Link: Childcare Grant

Adult Dependants' Grant
The grant of up to £3,094 a year should help any student who has an adult who depends on them financially. The amount the student can receive depends on their income and the income of their husband, wife or partner and that of any dependants.

Link: Adult Dependants' Grant

Plus Icon Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are grants to help meet the extra course costs students face because of a disability. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. DSAs can help pay for:

  • specialist equipment you need for studying like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, such as a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs such as photocopying or printer cartridges

You don’t have to pay DSAs back and they’re not counted as income when working out whether you get benefits or Tax Credits.

More information and how to apply:

Website: Disabled Students' Allowance

Plus Icon Funding for students from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (figures based on 2019/20)

Students from Scotland

Full-time undergraduate students from Scotland studying in England can apply to the Student Award Agency Scotland (SAAS) for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 per year and either a Young Student’s Bursary of up to £2,000 and a loan for living costs of up to £5,750 if you are under 25 years old, or an Independent Students Bursary of up to £1000 and a Loan of up to £6,750 if you are over 25 or independent for another reason.

How much loan and bursary you can get depends on you or your parents’ household income.

There are also grants for students with dependants and/or a disability.

For more information see


Students from Wales

Full-time undergraduate students from Wales can apply to Student Finance Wales (SFW) for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250.  They can also get help towards living costs of up to £9225 a year if studying at Leeds Beckett.  The money for living costs is made up of grant and/or loan depending on household income. 

There are also grants for students with dependants and/or a disability.

For more information see


Students from Northern Ireland

Full-time undergraduate students from Northern Ireland can apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250. They can also get help towards living costs of up to £6,780 as a mixture of grant and loan depending on household income.

There are also grants for students with dependants and/or a disability.

For more information see the SFNI website
Plus Icon Funding for Placements (figures based on 2020/21)

If you are doing a sandwich course that includes a placement year, either paid or unpaid, you can apply for a reduced rate maintenance loan for that placement year as well as the tuition fee loan.

The amount of the Maintenance Loan varies depending on where you are living during your placement year, it isn't income-assessed.

  • At home: £2,090
  • Away from home:
    • In London - £3,914;
    • Outside London - £2,788

Some students can get full Maintenance Loan (and Grant for pre-2016 starters) f they are doing 'unpaid service' in:

  • a hospital or in a public health service laboratory or with a Clinical Commissioning group in the UK;
  • with a local authority in the UK acting in the exercise of its functions relating to the care of children and young persons, health or welfare or with a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out activities of a like nature in the UK or a Local Authority acting in the exercise of public health functions;
  • in the prison or probation and aftercare service in the UK;
  • in an institution in the UK (including Parliament) or, in the case of a student attending an overseas institution as part of his course, in an overseas institution
  • with a Special Health Authority, the National Health Service Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, Local Health Board, Health Board, Special Health Board or Health and Social Services Board in England or Wales, or their Scottish or Northern Irish equivalents.

Students from England apply at

A year of study abroad

If you are studying abroad you can get the Maintenance Loan at a higher rate of up to £10,539 and could also be entitled to a travel grant, depending on your parent or partner’s household income.

If your placement year is a part of the Erasmus+ scheme, then in addition to your student loan and travel grant you could get an Erasmus+ grant which is paid monthly.
See: Erasmus Exchange for more information.

NHS Placements

Pre-registration healthcare students normally have to undertake practice placements as part of your course and you may be entitled to have some of the cost of journeys between your normal term-time accommodation and your practice placement site, or the costs of dual accommodation, reimbursed. If you get the NHS Bursary then you are reimbursed through the Bursary scheme. If you started your healthcare course on or after September 1st 2017 you can get help through the Learning Support Fund.
See: Learning Support Fund

Social Work

Social work students on placement can get help with their travel costs. If you are getting the Social Work Bursary then an allowance for travel costs is included in the bursary. If you are not getting the Bursary then you could apply for a Placement Travel Allowance of up to £862.50 (2019/20 figures).
See: How to apply for a Placement Travel Allowance

What happens if I don’t complete a placement?

Not completing a placement may have implications for your student funding if you have studied another course before, or have repeated study previously. Please speak to a Student Money Advice in those circumstances.

Other placement information
Plus Icon Care Leavers
Financial Support for Care Leavers in Higher Education

Local Authority Care Leavers' Bursary
Care Leavers who start a course before their 25th birthday may be entitled to a £2000 bursary from their Local Authority. In England, Care Leavers can get support from their Local Authority up to the age of 21. Some Care Leavers over 21 and under 25 can also get some support if they are still being helped by their Local Authority with an agreed programme of education or training.

To apply, students should contact their pathway planner at their Local Authority.  This is not part of the student finance package provided by Student Finance England and it is disregarded when calculating student grants and loans.

Leeds Beckett Care Leavers & Estranged Students Bursary
The bursary is intended to help new students who are leaving care to attend university, or who have been living independently since leaving care, or who are estranged from their family. The amount payable each year £1,000 at level 4, £1,500 in level 5 and £1,000 at level 6. Payment will be made in two instalments (November and February). You will need to be fully enrolled on a full time course.

See Care Leavers & Estranged Students Bursary

If you have been looked after by a local authority it is important to let Student Finance England or your national funding provider know, so that you can be considered as an independent student. They will require a copy of a letter from your Local Authority or Social Worker confirming that you have been in local authority care. This will ensure that you are income-assessed in your own right.

Propel is a useful website for Care Leavers, produced by the Who Cares? Trust
Website: Propel

Plus Icon Carers

You are a carer if you care for a family member or a friend who is suffering from an illness, addiction or has a disability.

If the person you care for is an adult who is dependent on you financially you could be eligible for an Adult Dependants' Grant from Student Finance England.

Full-time students are not eligible for the 'Carer's Allowance' but if you have extra costs because you are a carer then apply to the Leeds Beckett Hardship Fund.

Carer's Credits                                                                                                  People who receive Carer's Allowance are automatically awarded National Insurance credits, without the need to be in employment. These count towards some entitlements like the state pension. If you have paid National Insurance contributions for the full 35 years then you are eligible for the full rate of state pension when you retire. 

Students who are not entitled to Carer's Allowance can claim Carer's Credits instead. You will not receive a payment, but this allows your National Insurance contributions to continue whilst you study, as long as you continue in your caring role. 

For more information about this and how to apply, see Turn2Us.        


See Leeds Beckett Hardship Funds

Leeds Beckett Primary Carers Bursary
The bursary is intended to assist full-time undergraduate students who have responsibility as primary carer for a dependant adult that will continue whilst they are studying.

See Primary Carers Bursary for details                                                                                                          

You can also get free confidential support and advice from Carers Leeds, please click on the link below for more information.

Carers Leeds

Plus Icon Independent Students

You will be considered independent if:

  • You have the care of a person under the age of 18 on the first day of the academic year which you’re applying for support.
  • You’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year for which you’re applying for support.
  • You’ve been married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year, even if you’re now divorced or separated.
  • You have no living parents.
  • You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of the course. This includes any time you:
    • were in paid, full-time employment
    • received Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or other state benefits
    • received any pension, allowance or other benefit because of their disability or by any reason of confinement, sickness or illness
    • received training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency
  • Your parents can’t be traced or it’s not practical / possible to contact them.
  • Your parents live outside the European Commission and an income assessment would put them in jeopardy, or it’s not reasonably practical for them to send funds to the UK if a contribution were assessed (this may apply to a student who’s a refugee).
  • You have not communicated with your parents for one year before the beginning of the academic year for which you’re applying for support, or you can demonstrate that you’re permanently estranged from your parents.
  • Subject to certain exceptions, you were looked after by a local authority throughout any three month period ending on or after the date you turned 16, and before the first day of the first academic year of your course.
Independent Student Status

If you are independent, then Student Finance England (SFE) won’t take your parent’s income into account when working out the household income and contribution. If you are married, in a civil partnership or over 25 and living with your partner, SFE will take the income of your partner into account.

Plus Icon Estranged Students

Most students under 25 who are entering Higher Education are considered to be ‘dependent’ on their families. However, if you have a permanent lack of contact with your parents, you would be considered independent from your family. For ‘dependent’ students, student finance maintenance loans are means tested on household income, which means that they would need to provide evidence of parental income. However, if you are estranged from your parents, student finance can be assessed against your own income and you will be asked to provide evidence that you are estranged from your family in order to qualify for additional financial support.

For more information, see the Stand Alone website:

Help at Leeds Beckett

Leeds Beckett Care Leavers & Estranged Students Bursary
The bursary is intended to help new students who are estranged from their family. The amount payable each year £1,000 at level 4, £1,500 in level 5 and £1,000 at level 6. Payment will be made in two instalments (November and February). You will need to be fully enrolled on a full time course.

See Care Leavers & Estranged Students Bursary for details.

If you need help proving estrangement, you can contact our Money Advice Team & arrange an appointment with one of our Money Advisers.

Our advisers also provide confidential specialist advice about student funding and can also help with general advice about budgeting, debt and welfare benefits.

Plus Icon Distance Learners

Distance learning is a programme of study that allows students to study at home. Students studying on distance learning undergraduate courses at a publicly funded institution may be able to apply for a non means-tested tuition fee loan of up £9,250. If you are studying a course by distance learning because you have a disability and your disability prevents you from attending the course, then you may be eligible for the full-time package of support and extra help in the form of Disabled Students’ Allowances.

Contact Student Finance England for more information on 0300 100 0607.

Plus Icon Healthcare Courses

Students who start a pre-registration healthcare course after 1st August 2017 will be able to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England. Additional funding will be available for students with dependants, childcare costs and a disability.

If you have studied in Higher Education before that will not affect your entitlement to this funding if you are studying a Healthcare course. See for a list of eligible healthcare courses. Apply for funding at

In addition to this main funding, students will be able to get extra help through the Learning Support Fund. The Learning Support Fund will include help with:

  • Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses
    For costs incurred over and above daily travel costs related to essential practice placements.
  • Child Dependants Allowance
    £1,000 for students who have parental responsibility for children under 15 years or under 17 years if they are registered as requiring special educational needs.
  • Exceptional Support Fund
    Up to £3,000 available for students who are facing severe hardship.

More information is available at:

New Student Funding

The government has announced that both undergraduate and postgrduate healthcare students starting or returning to study in September 2020 will be eligible for additional funding support. For the latest updates see NHSBSA Learning Support Fund.

Plus Icon Social Work Bursary

A undergraduate bursary of £4,862.50 (outside London) is available in the second and third year of the Social Work BA (Hons). The Bursary is not means-tested and will be paid in addition to all the full-time student support available from Student Finance England.

See our Postgraduate funding pages for details of the postgraduate Social Work Bursary

For more information about the bursary see the NHSBSA website:

Plus Icon Trust Funds and Charities

It may be possible to get some extra help with living expenses or course costs from a Trust Fund or Charity. Whether you can get help will depend on your individual circumstances and the aims of the Trust Fund or Charity.

You can carry out a search on the website below to find details of organisations that may be able to help.

Website: Turn2Us Grants Search

Plus Icon Repayment of Student Loans

This page was last modified: 03/04/2020

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button