Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Ben Jones
About Professor Ben Jones
Ben completed his BSc (Hons), MSc and PhD at Leeds Beckett University, before becoming a Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Physiology in 2013. Ben received his Professorship in 2017, at the age of 31.
Ben is also an accredited strength and conditioning coach and works in a consultancy capacity with sports teams and national governing bodies. In 2015, he was joint-awarded the Researcher of the Year at Leeds Beckett University with Dr Kevin Till, and in 2017 was awarded the UKSCA Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year for Research and Education.
Delivers lectures on the Sport and Exercise Science undergraduate and postgraduate taught provisions
Module leader; The Physiology of Sports Conditioning (MSc Strength and Conditioning)
PhD and Postgraduate Research Supervision
Ben’s research initially focused on the fluid and electrolyte balance of team sport athletes. More recently, Ben’s research has been in collaboration with various sports teams and governing bodies, focusing on the training load and match demands of senior and youth athletes, fatigue and recovery following various exercise modalities, and the nutritional requirements of team sport athletes.
Ben is leading and collaborating on a number of externally funded international research projects. Research projects are in collaboration with the Rugby Football Union, Rugby Football League, World Rugby, Leeds Rhinos Rugby League, Yorkshire Carnegie Rugby Union, Bath Rugby Union, Wasps Rugby Union, and Leeds United.
Ben frequently presents at national and international conferences, as an invited speaker.
- From ‘Interesting to Useful’; the application of Sport Science to real-world problems
- Third Annual CARR Conference attracts rugby professionals from across the country
- Rugby players under the spotlight to help plan future training
- Leeds Beckett academic named as Coach of the Year for Education and Research
- New research explores demand on younger rugby union players
- Conference at Leeds Beckett shares rugby research
- Rugby Football League appoint Research and Innovation Manager
- Conference at Leeds Beckett to share rugby research