If you’re considering studying a master’s degree but wondering how it would benefit you in your future career, I’m here to share my experiences and let you know why I think that studying a master’s degree is really important.

Enhanced knowledge

If you choose to study a master’s degree, you will be able to learn so much more about what you are passionate about. I was continually inspired throughout my degree, through my placement experience, and, at Leeds Beckett, through attending interesting lectures provided by staff as well as guest lecturers, who are currently working in the field I am about to venture into.

All of these experiences will expand your knowledge and you will learn so much more about your chosen field, what you can specialise in and the type of jobs you would be able to apply for, following graduation.

Job opportunities

A master’s degree can help you apply for many more jobs in the area you’re particularly interested in. As I am on a health professional course, following my degree I can apply for jobs within the NHS that my degree is essential for.

A master’s degree can even allow you to apply for job opportunities abroad. For example, my qualification has a Mutual Recognition Agreement in place with the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland, meaning I could apply to work there as my qualifications would have the exact same value as they do in England.

I was passionate about changing my career path, so I decided to apply for my master’s degree. I’m so glad I did as it has opened my eyes to endless possibilities.

Greater potential for a career change

If you’re looking for a career change, studying a master’s degree can be useful as you can choose an area which can be different to your undergraduate degree or your current job.

For me, after studying Spanish and Linguistics at undergraduate level, I went on to study a master’s in Speech and Language Therapy. Studying languages can lead you to interesting areas of work, such as teaching or translation, but it would not lead me on to a career in the NHS. I was passionate about changing my career path, so I decided to apply for my master’s degree. I’m so glad I did as it has opened my eyes to endless possibilities.

When you have completed your master’s you may also feel so inspired that you’ll want to go into further study, carry out your own research in your chosen field and achieve a PhD, which your job may sometimes pay for!

Networking opportunities

There are so many networking opportunities when studying a master’s; for example, connecting with fellow students on the same course as you. I keep up to date with mine during the course so we can support each other, and we can follow each other's professional development after the course to see where our degrees have taken us. 

You will also be introduced to potential employers through placements and workshops, who are usually happy for their contact details to be passed on so you can get in touch with them about any work experience or job opportunities. They can also let you know if any job posts are coming up in their area of work.

Sense of accomplishment

Choosing to study a master’s degree will help you build so much confidence and gain many skills, such as the ability to work in partnership, as well as interpersonal and presentation skills that will help you develop professionally. I felt accomplished after completing such a fulfilling course, and it is great to know that I can apply for jobs I truly want with the high-quality expertise I have gained.