After finishing my undergrad degree I decided I needed a change. I completed my undergrad in English Language and Linguistics at University of York. However, I made the decision to look at other subjects available at postgraduate level when I realised that my undergrad degree would lead me into a career of speech therapy, or similar, which wasn’t what I wanted to do. During my time as an undergraduate, I worked as a Conference and Events Supervisor at The National Railway Museum.

This role gave me the love for events and made me realise that I wanted to pursue this career further. So, I looked into ways that I could study and develop my skills. All while working full time. It was important for me to work full time while studying my masters, unfortunately rent, food and my concert/holiday addiction all require money. I knew I wouldn’t be able to support myself with only my student loan.

When I started my masters course, I moved jobs and received a full time role as a Wedding and Events Planner for a Castle Wedding, Events and Filming Venue in North Yorkshire.

Castle venue in North Yorkshire

As you can imagine, I felt as though I was having my own fairytale come true. I believe that it was when I told them I was going to complete a distance learning masters that helped me get this role. My experience up to this point had been around running the events on the day, I had quite little experience in planning up to that point, other than the odd society event. So, from the start I could already see the benefits of joining this course.

Leeds Beckett was the obvious choice for me as it was the only institution that offered an online course, in my desired subject. I also get flexibility from a distance learning course along with all the luxuries of the university’s resources such as the online library.

Despite being in my second year of my postgraduate course, I believe my masters continues to develop my understanding of the event sector. The course allows me to contribute vital ideas to my workplace. It also has and continues to, develop me as a person as I speak to my course peers who are people from all over the world, and learn more about how to self motivate and how to organise throughout the tasks and assessment. I believe that the Event Management distance learning masters has been an investment into my personality and my future career.

Libby

Hi I'm Libby, a distance learning student who studies part time whilst continuing to work full time too. I originally studied an undergrad in English Language and Linguistics but quickly realised I didn't want to pursue a career in this field. I now study a masters in Events Management whilst working in this industry.