Hi, I’m Isabelle and I’m from Hong Kong/Canada. I’m currently in my 1st year of a 2 year MSc Dietetics course. Although this is not my first time studying in the UK (I actually did my undergraduate degree at York, a city that is 30 minutes away from Leeds), I have not lived in Leeds, nor have I studied at Leeds Beckett before. In my first week in Leeds, I spent most of my time exploring the city and around where I live. I had to find out where the nearest supermarkets and nice eateries were, among other things. I was glad to realise that Leeds city centre is very compact, that nearly all shops, supermarkets and restaurants in the city are within walking distance of where I live.

I chose Leeds Beckett for my MSc Dietetics course as I’d had the nice experience of living in York for 3 years and I thought it would be great to be living in Yorkshire again, so I chose to apply to Leeds Beckett University. I was fortunate enough to be able to be admitted into this competitive course. My first few weeks in the course have been great so far, the lecturers are very knowledgeable and helpful. I feel that I will be very well equipped to get into the profession of a dietitian in 2 years’ time. The course itself seems pretty busy, as I expected. I will be having my first exam in late October, so just a few weeks after arriving. Only time will tell if I’ll survive, hopefully it’s a yes – haha!

My first few weeks at Leeds Beckett city campus have been nerve wrecking at times, like when I first had to check where the lecture theatres were. Luckily, I found out about the student hub at The Rose Bowl building where I could pop in at any time, and there would be friendly staff members or student helpers to help answer any enquiries. The student hub was also the place where my photo was taken for my student card, which was instantly printed for collection. All of my classes take place at the city campus, and there are lots of services that are across both campuses, so I nearly never have to travel to the Headingley campus. For example, there’s a career centre at the city campus that offers help with personal statements or to prepare you for job interviews.

And of course, we have the city campus library that have the books we need for our courses. The library service team could also transfer books from the Headingley campus to the city campus if needed. Overall, I’ve found the city campus very useful for everything I’ve needed.

One of the things I like most about the location of the city campus is that my friends and I never have to worry about food choices. There’s a big cafeteria and several cafes at the city campus, and it is an easy 5 to 10 minute walk to nearby eateries in the city centre. I’ve had Thai, Chinese, Mexican and Turkish food within my first few days in Leeds! Being a huge food lover, I still have a whole long list of restaurants I want to try out in Leeds – I can’t wait!

Isabelle

Hi everyone, I’m Isabelle, who is Canadian born and Hong Kong raised. I am currently in my 1st year of a 2 year MSc Dietetics course at Leeds Beckett. You could probably tell from my course that I am a food lover. :D Other than that, in my free time, I enjoy going for a swim or a walk (around Leeds or the Dales/Moors)!