Leeds Beckett Sport caught up with Team GB Olympian Laura Weightman to talk about her road to recovery, her plans for 2023 and reflect on her time studying and being supported by Leeds Beckett University and the Leeds Beckett University Athletics Talent Hub.

How are you getting on in your sport/Recovery going well/Any upcoming opportunities to compete?

I am currently recovering and beginning rehab following knee surgery to repair my torn meniscus. It is early stages (8 weeks) following the surgery so I have to be patient and allow my body to heel before the main strength based rehab begins. I am hopeful to be back fit and healthy to compete sometime next summer.

What do you consider your greatest achievements to date? 

It is always hard to pick one achievement as so many moments in my career special in so many ways. Representing Team GB at the London 2012 Olympics will forever be one of the greatest achievements of my life. It was a once in a lifetime experience! I did this while studying at LBU, not something I ever expected would happen.

Reflect on your experience of studying and competing/being supported by LBU?

Leeds has been my home for over 12 years and being here has made me into the athlete I am today. Had I not come to study at LBU I wouldn’t have met many of the key people I have in my support team today. The campus facilities and environment are brilliant. There is no place I’d rather spend my professional career training.

What you enjoyed most during your time studying at LBU?

I enjoyed the variety of my course, Sport and Exercise Science. As well as being an athlete I am passionate about sport and performance. I wanted to learn more and be able to apply that to my own performance and coaching. 

Future goals and aspirations -

I am currently coaching several athletes and this is something I would like to continue to develop. I am also interested and passionate about athlete support and well-being. I know that even when I retire I want to be involved in sport and I am sure I will keep running in some capacity, if my legs allow!! 

Athletic Union

The Athletic Union is managed by the university's sports office team and is governed by the Athletic Union Executive Committee and our sports clubs' committee members. Regardless of your sports interest, the Athletic Union is here to help you have the best student sport experience during your time at Leeds Beckett.