Ellen Cochrane: Business Development Manager

Alumni Spotlight | Ellen Cochrane, Class of 2018

Ellen Cochrane

What course/degree did you do?

I studied International Relations and Global Development at Leeds Beckett followed by a Masters of Public Administration at the University of Birmingham.

What is your current role?

I am a Business Development Manager at EDI Global. In this role I manage and coordinate the development of bids and proposals for EDI Global to win and lead research, data collection, and monitoring, evaluation and learning work in East Africa for international development donors such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the FCDO, and USAID, as well as research and academic institutions. I work closely with technical experts and project delivery experts across sectors, time-zones, and functional expertise. I also lead partner and client outreach to forge partnerships with likeminded organisations, as well as leading EDI Global’s communications activities.

What organisation are you working for?

I work for EDI Global, an international research and analytics, data, and MEL firm based in East Africa and the UK. EDI Global is a part of Mathematica, a US-based research and policy organisation that use data, analytics, and technology to address pressing social challenges.

How did you find this job?

I came across this job on Bond, I had recently finished by Masters and was looking for a job in the international development sector.

What do you enjoy about this job?

I enjoy this job because it enables me to be engaged with the wider global development sector, staying up-to-date with donor priorities for both implementation and research projects in East Africa and around the world. My job is very time-pressured as I am always working to tight bid deadlines, but the enjoyment I get when a high-quality bid is submitted and then won is great. Seeing that project then come to fruition and ultimately generate new evidence to inform decision making and policy is really cool. I have also been fortunate enough to travel to Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya through work and spent time with colleagues who are implementing our projects on-the-ground which is really enjoyable and fulfilling.

What skills are you using in this job that you got from Uni?

My degree set the foundation for my knowledge of the wider global development sector, what themes and topics are a focus for key players in the industry, and ultimately why this work matters. In terms of skills, I use my analytical skills every day as I review opportunities and present them to our senior team with feedback on the pros/cons of the opportunity and my initial thinking of how we could approach it. Working collaboratively is another skill I utilise every day, being able to work with people that have different styles of working, from different backgrounds, or have different priorities.

What advice would you give young women looking for work in this area?

Try and think about what it is your interested in, what areas of your degree did you enjoy this most, what specific skills do you enjoy using. Research the organisations you are interested in and look at the team pages, see the huge variety of roles available and learn more about the different areas of development you can go into, there are so many roles beyond project implementation out there. Also, utilise your network, stay in touch with those who go on to work in the industry and seek guidance where you can. Working in global development as a woman is great because there is a huge emphasis on gender equity, both within the jobs that exist, and the projects being implemented. Finally, persevere! It can be quite disheartening when you get rejected from a job and so try and stay positive and remember why you are so committed to working in this sector.