Why I chose to study International Tourism Management

Find out from our current student Eleanor Greatorex why she chose to study International Tourism Management.

Elanor Greatorex

Why did you choose to study International Tourism Management?

I have always been passionate about travel and tourism and I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the industry. I chose the course at Leeds Beckett due to the enthusiasm and passion expressed by staff and students during the open day I attended. I felt genuine excitement about the opportunities that would become available to me during the course, which was supported by students sharing their positive experiences. The School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management is well connected with the tourism industry, making it an exciting and dynamic place to study tourism. The course content focuses on relevant and interesting issues that currently face the industry and prepares you for a future career in the industry.

What does a typical day on the course look like?

Teaching days often include a morning lecture and an afternoon workshop which reflects the morning lecture. Workshops often involve student participation such as group presentations or activities. We are also given the opportunity to learn outside of the classroom during field trips with have included a week in the Lake District, a trip to York and a week in Mallorca.

What are the lectures like?

Lectures are interactive, engaging and use a range of resources. Our tutors bring their own industry knowledge into the classroom and we often have guest lectures brought in to give in depth knowledge on a specific topic. The content gives insight into the tourism industry and prepares you for your future career.

What other opportunities are there on the course?

The course has given me the opportunity to meet and work with industry professionals and grow my own network through my involvement with The Institute of Travel and Tourism. We also have the opportunity to work in the industry during our placement year and are fully support by lecturers and the placement office to find a placement that matches our career aspirations.

What is Leeds like as a place to study?

Leeds is the perfect student city, its lively, has a fantastic selection of restaurants, shops and bars including chains and independent businesses, a brilliant nightlife and is great value for money. The University has a large selection of sports teams and societies to get involved with and the student’s union hold a number of events that students can get involved with.

How have your tutors supported you?

Our course tutors make an effort to get to know us as individuals, which is one of my favourite aspects of studying here.  We are assigned a personal tutor who supports us throughout our degree, whether that be with our studies, placements or career opportunities. I am currently applying for a summer internship and I have been really well supported during the application process.

What can you do with an International Tourism Management degree?

A degree in International Tourism Management can lead to an exciting career in the tourism industry or an alternative management role. Once I graduate, I plan to use my degree to travel and work in a range of destinations either as a resort manager or as part of a destination management team.

How has your course/tutors prepared you for life after university?

Our tutors share their first-hand experience of working in the industry to prepare us for life after graduation. They introduce a range of career opportunities to us and their strong connections within the industry have been invaluable. My course has opened up a range of possibilities for me once I graduate and made me excited about my future career in the tourism industry.