Dr Jon Dart
About Dr Jon Dart
Entered higher education as a mature student after number of years working and living abroad. Completed undergraduate and post-graduate degrees at Leeds Metropolitan University. Taught at McMaster University in Canada and Leeds Trinity and All Saints before rejoining Leeds Beckett University as a Lecturer in 2011. Currently teaching and researching the (indivisible) socio-cultural and political aspects of sport.
Areas of specialisation:
- Sport, politics and protest
- The sociology of sport (pedagogy and disciplinary borders)
- Representation of sport in film and popular literature
Based in the Carnegie School of Sport currently contributing to:
- BA (Hons) Sport and Social Science
- BA(Hons) Sport Development
- BA Sport Business Management
Recent published research has focused on antisemitism, anti-Zionism and boycotts exploring how sport is used as a platform for protest and the challenges that face sport fans and governing bodies.
A study on the existence of sports tribes and how these influence academic identity and the teaching the sociology of sport has generated significant interest in the relationship between the social and bio-sciences.