LBU Together

Raising the WOW Barn with LEEDS 2023

Leigh Beales Organisational Development & Wellbeing Coordinator at Leeds Beckett University shares her amazing experience as a volunteer at the WOW Barn, a spectacular barn built in 24 hours by 300 women, girls and non-binary people in Hyde Park.

Published on 10 May 2023
Leigh Beales, WOW Barn

Why did you want to volunteer with LEEDS 2023?

I wasn’t looking to volunteer initially, I just wanted to see what events were taking place as part of LEEDS 2023, but when I read about the Women of the World project and the opportunity to become a barn raiser, I just thought why not give it a go? I love anything crafty, or DIY inspired and thought it sounded like a fantastic opportunity to meet new people and learn new skills.

Tell us about the WOW Barn and what did it involve?

The Wow Barn is a temporary events space built on Cinder Moor in Hyde Park by a team of 300 women and non-binary people.  The space will play host to the first Women of the World Festival to be held in Leeds and provide an opportunity for people to come together to celebrate and make moves towards gender equality. All 300 barn raisers attended a workshop at Leeds Building College to equip us with the skills needed for the project and a H&S briefing where we learnt the rules of the constructions site and collected our PPE. We then undertook the challenge of building the barn in 24 hours. We were supported by a team of experts and covered four six-hour shifts starting a 6pm Sunday 31 April and completing the build at 6pm on Monday 1 May. 

What was your favourite part of working on the WOW Barn?

Without a doubt getting to meet the other friendly, enthusiastic, and supportive volunteers. Being a working Mum, it’s quite easy to lose yourself within the daily routine, so stepping out of my comfort zone, working on this project, and meeting new people was a refreshing experience.

What surprised you about working on the WOW Barn project?

Two things really. The first, that we managed to get the build done within 24 hours. It seemed quite an ambitious challenge, I was on the final shift and when I arrived on site I thought there still looked to be loads to do, but the whole team worked so hard, and it was a joy to be part of.

Secondly, how emotional I felt when we’d finished. There was a ’topping out’ celebration at the end of the build attended by Jude Kelly CBE, CEO of the WOW foundation and Tracy Brabin, Mayor of West Yorkshire. Standing in front of the structure we had created and listening to inspiring women speak about how the project came to fruition, how underrepresented women are in the construction industry and how the space will create an opportunity for conversations about change, made me so proud. I am taking away so many wonderful memories from the project, along with a newfound sense of confidence & empowerment.

What would you say to fellow LBU colleagues who are considering getting involved with LEEDS 2023 volunteering opportunities?

Just say yes! It is far too easy to think of the reasons not to do something but from my experience I’d do it again tomorrow. The team at LEEDS 2023 have been supportive, responsive, and encouraging all the way through.

How did you find out about the experience?

It was shared through our Leeds Beckett communication channels and I picked up on it by the power of social media.