[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Summer Assistance Fund

Who is Eligible to Apply?

We will consider an application from you if you are a non-final year student and satisfy one the following:

  • You have children.
  • You are re-taking/re-sitting elements of your course either in or out of attendance across the summer.
  • You are ill or have a disability and are therefore unable to work, and for whom other benefits are not available.
  • You are a Care Leaver, a carer or you are estranged from your parents.

If you are a final year student, we will accept an application from you if you are resitting exams over the summer period.

Application Process

  • Students meeting the above eligibility criteria should click on this link to access the online application form.
  • If you wish to discuss your application in more detail then please book a Headingley campus appointment here or call student money support for a City Campus appointment
  • Once the student submits their application form along with their supporting documentation, their application will be assessed and outcome confirmed via email to their university email address within 10 working days.
  • Applications will be accepted from Monday 4th June up to 5pm on Tuesday 31st July. This will allow for processing and payment to be made unless funds are exhausted prior to this date.
  • We may accept exceptional applications in August to address unexpected financial challenges and this would likely involve a shorter assessment period to address relevant emergencies.

Treatment of Income

  • Where your statutory student funding has already been taken into account in a previous assessment, we will not consider this again. We will take into account all other income.
  • If you are eligible for welfare benefits during the summer, we will include the relevant benefit figure in your assessment even if you are not yet in receipt of this.

What Assistance will be Offered?

  • Help with your day-to-day living costs such as food, travel and help with housing costs.
  • If you have an outstanding short-term loan from any previous academic year, we will ask you to discuss this with us. We may reduce any Summer Assistance award if this is the case.
  • We can only make awards if there are sufficient funds remaining.

What evidence will I need to provide? 

Where relevant, you will need to provide:

  • A confirmation letter/email from your School to evidence how many credits you are re-sitting/repeating over the summer period.
  • Bank statements for the previous month for all of your bank accounts, including savings accounts (and your partner’s accounts if applicable).
  • Documentation confirming details of your benefits or evidence to show you have applied for these.
  • Details and evidence of any other income received over the summer.
  • An up-to-date letter from your GP/Consultant to confirm any illness that prevents you from working over the summer period.
  • Documentation from your GP/Disability Services/Support Worker (as applicable) to confirm your disability and to confirm you are unable to work over the summer.
  • A letter from your social worker to confirm that as a care leaver you do not have any other means of financial support over the summer.
  • Any other supplementary evidence that you feel supports your application.

This page was last modified: 24/10/2018

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button