Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Hissam Tawfik
About Professor Hissam Tawfik
Hissam Tawfik is a Professor of Computer Science with research expertise and interests in the areas of Biologically Inspired Computing, AI, Applied Data Science and E-Health.
Hissam holds a PhD in Computer Engineering from the University of Manchester (then UMIST) and has a research track record of more than 130 refereed publications in reputable international journals and conference proceedings such as the IEEE Transactions on IT in BioMedicine, IET Communications, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Ad Hoc Networks and Computer and Network Applications.
Hissam is an editor of the International Journal of Future Generation Computer Systems (Elsevier), the International Journal of Neural Computing and Applications (Springer), and International Journal of Medical Engineering and Informatics and a guest Editor of the International Journal of Medical Informatics (Elsevier). He is a visiting Professor at the University of Seville (Spain), and is a chair of the International Conference Series on Developments in eSystems Engineering (DESE).
Hissam currently leads the Data Science and AI reserach at the school of Computing, Creative Technologies and Engineering. Before joining Leeds Beckett University in 2015, Hissam worked for University of Salford and Liverpool Hope University.
- Critical Perspectives on Information (Masters)
- Research Practice (Masters)
Current research projects led by Hissam Tawfik include the application of data science and machine learning techniques for weight management, healthy living and active ageing, and neural computing applications for time-series prediction.
Hissam currently leads two Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) projects involving the applications of data science and AI tools for user experience and predictive analytics for Business.
Prof Tawfik’ s recent editorial activities include a new Book (Springer) entitled 'Applications of Big Data Analytics' (by Alani, Tawfik, Saeed, and Anya, 2018) and the Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Developments in eSystems Engineering, IEEE (by Hamdan, Al-Jumeily, Hussain, Tawfik, and Hind, 2018).
Hissam has recently been a co-organiser of the special session on ‘Computational Intelligence for Data Engineering and its Applications to Real-World Problems”, for the IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2018, and the special session on ‘IoT and Smart Data’ for the International Conference on Intelligent Computing, 2018, Wuhan, China.
Hissam is currently the Guest Editor of the journal special issue on "Security, Usability and Sustainability of Smart Cities"; International Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environment (Springer), and Co-Guest Editor of the journal special issue on "Data Science and Internet of Everything (IoE)"; Journal of Sensors, MDPI.
Journal articles (21)
- Tian D; Deng J; Vinod G; Santhosh TV; Tawfik H (2018), A constraint-based genetic algorithm for optimizing neural network architectures for detection of loss of coolant accidents of nuclear power plants. Neurocomputing, vol. 322
View Repository Record
- Baker T; Aldawsari B; Asim M; Tawfik H; Maamar Z; Buyya R (2018), Cloud-SEnergy: A bin-packing based multi-cloud service broker for energy efficient composition and execution of data-intensive applications. Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems
View Repository Record
- Hussain AJ; Liatsis P; Khalaf M; Tawfik H; Al-Asker H (2018), A Dynamic Neural Network Architecture with Immunology Inspired Optimization for Weather Data Forecasting. Big Data Research
- Reina DG; Tawfik H; Toral SL (2017), Multi-subpopulation evolutionary algorithms for coverage deployment of UAV-networks. Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 68
- Baker T; Asim M; Tawfik H; Aldawsari B; Buyya R (2017), An energy-aware service composition algorithm for multiple cloud-based IoT applications. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 89
View Repository Record
- Anya O; Tawfik H (2016), A model of medical practice for contextual knowledge sharing in collaborative healthcare. International Journal of Medical Engineering and Informatics, vol. 8 (4), p. 360-389.
View Repository Record
- Anya O; Tawfik H (2016), Designing for practice-based context-awareness in ubiquitous e-health environments. Computers and Electrical Engineering, vol. 61
View Repository Record
- Tawfik H; Bruno D (2016), Editorial. International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 6 (1), p. III-IX.
- Baker T; Al-Dawsari B; Tawfik H; Reid D; Ngoko Y (2015), GreeDi: An energy efficient routing algorithm for big data on cloud. Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 35
- Tawfik H; Anya O (2014), Evaluating practice-centered awareness in cross-boundary telehealth decision support systems. Telematics and Informatics, vol. 32 (3), p. 486-503.
- Reid D; Hussain AJ; Tawfik H (2014), Financial time series prediction using spiking neural networks. PLoS ONE, vol. 9 (8)
- Shaalan K; Al-Mansoori M; Tawfik H (2014), An awareness-raising E-learning approach for children living in a high diabetic population. Informatics for Health and Social Care, vol. 39 (2), p. 81-103.
- Tawfik H; Anya O; Nagar AK (2012), Understanding clinical work practices for cross-boundary decision support in e-health. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 16 (4), p. 530-541.
- Abbas G; Nagar AK; Tawfik H (2011), On unified quality of service resource allocation scheme with fair and scalable traffic management for multiclass Internet services. IET Communications, vol. 5 (16), p. 2371-2385.
- Sulaiman Khan M; Muyeba M; Coenen F; Reid D; Tawfik H (2011), Finding associations in composite data sets: The CFARM algorithm. International Journal of Data Warehousing and Mining, vol. 7 (3), p. 1-29.
- Anya O; Nagar A; Tawfik H (2011), Building adaptive systems for collaborative e-work: The e-workbench approach. Intelligent Decision Technologies, vol. 5 (1), p. 83-100.
- Abbas G; Nagar AK; Tawfik H; Goulermas JY (2010), Pricing and unresponsive flows purging for global rate enhancement. Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Katebi SD; Katebi M; Tawfik H (2009), Limit cycle prediction based on evolutionary multiobjective formulation. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2009
- Ghazali R; Hussain AJ; Liatsis P; Tawfik H (2008), The application of ridge polynomial neural network to multi-step ahead financial time series prediction. Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 17 (3), p. 311-323.
- Tawfik H; Liatsis P (2008), An intelligent systems framework for prototyping tactical driving decisions. International Journal of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, vol. 5 (1-2), p. 20-48.
- Liatsis P; Tawfik HM (1999), Two-dimensional road shape optimisation using genetic algorithms. Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 51 (1-2), p. 19-31.
- Alani MM; Tawfik H; Saeed M; Anya O (2018) Applications of Big Data analytics: Trends, issues, and challenges. . .
Conference proceedings (peer reviewed) (13)
- Reina DG; Toral SL; Tawfik H (2017) UAVs Deployment in Disaster Scenarios Based on Global and Local Search Optimization Algorithms. In: . : , pp. 197-202.
- Reid D; Tawfik H; Hussain AJ; Al-Askar H (2015) Forecasting weather signals using a polychronous spiking neural network. In: . : , pp. 116-123.
- Alaskar H; Hussain AJ; Paul FH; Al-Jumeily D; Tawfik H; Hamdan H (2014) Feature analysis of uterine electrohystography signal using dynamic self-organised multilayer network inspired by the immune algorithm. In: . : , pp. 206-212.
- Huang R; Tawfik H; Hussain AJ; Al-Askar H (2014) The application of artificial immune systems for the prediction of premature delivery. In: . : , pp. 825-833.
- Reid D; Hussain AJ; Tawfik H; Ghazali R (2014) Prediction of physical time series using spiking neural networks. In: . : , pp. 816-824.
- Reid D; Hussain AJ; Tawfik H (2013) Spiking neural networks for financial data prediction. In: . : , pp. .
- Anya O; Tawfik H; Nagar AK; Lootah KM (2012) A framework for practice-centred awareness and decision support in pervasive e-health. In: . : , pp. 937-940.
- Anya O; Tawfik H; Amin S; Nagar A; Shaalan K (2010) Context-aware knowledge modelling for decision support in e-health. In: . : , pp. .
- Huang R; Tawfik H; Nagar A (2010) Electronic fraud detection for video-on-demand system using hybrid immunology-inspired algorithms. In: . : , pp. 290-303.
- Huang R; Tawfik H; Nagar AK (2010) A novel hybrid artificial immune inspired approach for online break-in fraud detection. In: . : , pp. 2733-2742.
- Anya O; Nagar A; Tawfik H (2008) An approach for enriching information for supporting collaborative e-Work. In: . : , pp. 419-428.
- Tawfik H; Liatsis P (2006) Modelling tactical driving manoeuvres with GA-INTACT. In: . : , pp. 767-774.
- Tawfik H; Nagar A; Khan A (2005) Positioning temporary facilities using multi sub-population evolution. In: . : , pp. 36-42.