Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Leanne Norman
About Dr Leanne Norman
Leanne is a Reader within the Carnegie School of Sport. Her research utilises a critical sociological lens to examine the culture of coaching to address gender equality and provide evidence for the need to diversify the coaching workforce.
Leanne is an internationally recognised researcher for her research and writing within the area of gender equality and issues of diversity related to sports coaching, sports leadership, and organisations. Her work is driven towards improving the participation, performance, and leadership pathways for diverse social groups, principally, different groups of women.
Her work utilises a sociological lens to examine the culture of coaching and sports organisations. She also leads work around understanding the relationship between gender and occupational well-being for coaches, examining the influence of gender on the coach-athlete relationship, and how organisational change can support diversity and workforce development for coaches. Leanne has written for academic and practitioner textbooks, written educational resources for coaches, and has published widely in academic journals related to sport and social issues.
She has led national and international research projects as well as acted as academic expert and consultant for research funded by sport councils, governing bodies and federations, and charities. Leanne utilises such research as the evidence for impactful outreach activities including leading the delivery of programmes towards supporting women to enhance their experience of sports coaching as a credible and valuable profession, as well as acting consultant for a number of organisations to support them towards creating a diverse leadership and coaching workforce.
- Gender equality in sport and coaching
- Sport organisational culture and change
- Broader equity and diversity issues within sport and coaching
- Coaching sociology
- Critical feminist sociology
- Race and ethnicity in sport and coaching
- Qualitative research methods
- Implementing and promoting equality in sporting governing bodies
- Coach education, practices and processes
- The coach-athlete relationship
- Coaching knowledges
- Coaching and power
- Good sports: new research shines light on women in volunteering
- New study to boost representation of women in coaching
- New research to explore women as volunteers in sport
- This Leeds girl can: workshop to inspire women in sport comes to Leeds
- Workshop to inspire women in sport goes on tour
- New research to tackle the future of English football coach education
- Chairing to Advocate Change: Leading the UK Policy Forum Event for Women and girls in sport.
- Why this is a case of sexism rather than sore loser: Understanding the context in which Serena Williams lost points and ultimately the final of the US Tennis Open
- Gender matters? Murray & Mauresmo prepare for Wimbledon defence
- What does the word 'balance' mean to you?
- Beyond targets and tick boxes: The challenge is set to create sustainable organisational change to support greater equality