Recent research has resulted in the first book to consider Lyotard’s work in the context of his life and times. Published in the series ‘Critical Lives’ by Reaktion books it includes new research from interviews, archives and lesser known works, taking an interdisciplinary approach to Lyotard’s involvement in philosophy, art, literature, politics, teaching and writing. The hesitation which dominates the tone of the book, an uncertainty with regard to the genre of biography, was echoed in two symposia which Kiff Bamford programmed together with Leeds Beckett colleague and performance artist, Harold Offeh. Held at the Tetley, Leeds and ICA, London, the symposia were titled ‘Performance and Uncertainty’ and brought together international artists and writers to question the role of re-performance, to confront collective assumptions about authenticity and the changing role of the artist’s body, through presentations, discussions and performances.
Dr Kiff Bamford is a Reader in the School of Art, Architecture and Design with research interests in Performance art and Continental Philosophy. He is author of 'Lyotard and the figural in Performance, Art and Writing' (2012) and 'Jean-François Lyotard: Critical Lives' (2017).
The question of how to respond to art, especially performance, is an ongoing concern in Bamford’s research, an issue that is questioned through his writings, readings and performance. An unexpected, and underexplored, guide accompanying this search has been the French philosopher J-F Lyotard whose own approach to writing never ceases to question the limits of its own abilities.
PhD research was undertaken at the University of Manchester, with funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, under the supervision of Professor David Lomas (Art History and Visual Studies) and Professor Dee Reynolds (French Studies), with Professor Amelia Jones as an academic advisor. The resulting thesis was published by Continuum in 2012 in their series Studies in Continental Philosophy; it was re-issued in paperback by Bloomsbury in 2014. Titled 'Lyotard and the figural in Performance, Art and Writing' it argues for the relevance of Lyotard’s philosophy to considerations of writing on art, in particular performance art and its attending issues of documentation.
- Supervision of practice-based PhDs and Mphil students
- Supervision of BA Fine Art level 6 Extended Essay students
- Module leader BA Fine Art level 5 - Critical Analysis
- Personal tutor B.A. Graphic Arts & Design, level 6 (Studio)
Research Student Supervision
- Director of Studies
- Ian Truelove (PhD P/T)
Collapsing Skin: Expanding Painting Through New Digital Technologies (expected completion 2018)
- Harold Offeh (PhD P/T)
Covers: Performance, Re-enactment and The politics of Identity (expected completion 2019)
- Simon Ringe (PhD P/T)
Ma - The space in-between (expected completion 2021)
- Aiden Winterburn (Mphil P/T)
The Film-Essay: a multi-modal form that thinks (expected completion 2018)
- Vicky Sharples (PhD F/T)
Immaterial Performance in lieu of the art object: a practice-based environmental research project (expected completion 2019)
- Julia McKinlay (PhD F/T)
in collaboration with Yorkshire Sculpture International (expected completion 2022)
- External advisor
- Katie Crabtree (PhD F/T Leeds Trinity University / Leeds University)
Studenthood: A Lyotardian Rewriting of Liberal University Education (expected completion 2020)
- Patricia Azevedo (Visiting PhD student)
Jogos de distancia e proximidade: A construção do espaço dialógico na arte performativa, Universidade Federale De Minas Gerais, Brazil, 2015-2016 (completed 2017)
Show/hide all publications
Journal articles (4)
- Bamford K (2014), Working with fragments: a performance art's archive. Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, vol. 7 (3)
View Repository Record
- Bamford K (2013), Desire, absence and art in Deleuze and Lyotard. Parrhesia: a journal of critical philosophy(16), p. 48-60.
View Repository Record
- Bamford K (2013), Better Lyotard than never, I figure (Review of Discourse, Figure by J-F Lyotard). Art History: journal of the Association of Art Historians, vol. 36 (4), p. 885-888-888.
- Bamford K (2012), Acconci's Pied-à-terre: Taking the archive for a walk. Performance Research: a journal of the performing arts, vol. 17 (2), p. 54-61.
View Repository Record
- ed. (2018) Bloomsbury Handbook to Literary and Cultural Theory. . Bloomsbury.
- Bamford K (2017) Jean-François Lyotard (Critical Lives). Critical Lives . London: Reaktion Books.
- Bamford K (2017) Bamford, K. (2017). Jean-François Lyotard: A Critical Life, London: Reaktion Books.. . Reaktion Books.
- Bamford K (2012) Lyotard and the 'figural' in Performance, Art and Writing. Continuum Studies in Continental Philosophy . London & New York: Continuum.
- Bamford K (2017) Give Me a Sign: An anxious Exploration of Performance on Film, Under Lyotard's Shadow. In: Bamford K Acinemas Lyotard's Philosophy of Film. : Edinburgh University Press, pp. 150-162.
- Bamford K (2016) 'No Place for Complacency: The Resistance of Gesture'. In: Bamford K 'Traversals of Affect: On Jean-Francois Lyotard'. London & New York: Bloomsbury, pp. 99-112.
- Bamford K (2014) How can 'I' become 'Je' and should I even try? Gina Pane's 'minor' action. In: Bamford K RE: Histoires de quelques expositions et performances originales destinées à servir d'armes nouvelles pour sʼorienter vers une histoire mineure des performances et expositions. Paris: It: Editions, pp. .
- Bamford K; Bosson O (2014) 'REC: Une formation du spectateur'. (trans. Jef Caro).. In: Bamford K; Bosson O RE: Histoires de quelques expositions et performances originales destinées à servir d'armes nouvelles pour sʼorienter vers une histoire mineure des performances et expositions. Paris: It: Editions, pp. .
- Bamford K (2014) Comment devenir Je et cela en vaut-il la peine? Une action "mineure" de Gina Pane. In: Bamford K . : , pp. .
- Bamford K (2013) A late performance: Intimate distance (Yingmei Duan). In: Bamford K Rereading Jean-François Lyotard: Essays on His Later Works. : , pp. 81-95.
- Bamford K (2013) A Late Performance: Intimate Distance (Yingmei Duan). In: Bamford K Rereading Jean-Francois Lyotard. : Ashgate Publishing, pp. .
View Repository Record
- Bamford C (2011) 'Arrive-t-il?' 'Is it happening?': Questions of Duration and the Ephemeral in Acconci, Abramović and Lyotard. In: Bamford C Notes on a Return. Artists, Anne Bean ... [Et Al.]. : Arts Edition North, pp. .
Conference contributions (14)
- Bamford K (2018) "'No phrase is the first.'§184." Centre for Theoretical Inquiry, University of Indiana, Bloomington IN, USA 20180413. : .
- Bamford K (2017) Powerlessness and the Word: Lyotard's Breathless Hesitation 20171017. Leeds Univeirsty: .
- Bamford K (2017) Symposia Introduction and the performance talk Opening Uncertainty Institute of Contemporary Art, London 20170304. : .
- Bamford K (2017) Performance and Uncertainty The Tetley, Leeds & ICA, London 20170204. : .
- Bamford K (2015) Lyotard's Lips. Quivering as I go to speak Leeds Library and Art Gallery 20150226. : .
- Bamford, K (2014) Freezing the Flow: Performance Art in the Museum
Panel: Sensing Topologies : Embodied Process, Continuous Mutation, and the Figural in Contemporary Media, Dance, and Performance Art Dallas, Texas 20141009. : .
- Bamford K (2014) 'Give me a sign: an anxious exploration of performance on film, under Lyotard's shadow' University of Dundee 20140507. : .
- Bamford C (2013) 'No place for complacency:the resistance of gesture' Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA 20130321. : .
- Bamford C (2012) How can 'I' become 'Je' and should I even try? Gina Pane's minor action. Raven Row Gallery, London. and Slade School of Art, UCL, London 20120905. : .
- Bamford C (2011) Performing Lyotard Manchester Metropolitan University 20111117. : .
- Bamford C (2011) A Late Performance. University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada 20110211. : .
- Bamford C (2010) Wildly Attentive.
Session: Reading to Attention. University of Glasgow 20100415. : .
- Bamford C (2008) 'Arrive-t-il?' 'Is it happening?': Questions of duration and the ephermeral in Acconci, Abramovic and Lyotard . University of Manchester: .
- Bamford C (2008) Finding the Figural in Lyotard and Deleuze . Manhcester Metropolitan University: Actual/ Virtual.
Conference proceedings (peer reviewed) (1)
- Bamford C (2010) The Other as Host: Gina Pane's 'Je'. In: Tansmission: Hospitality Sheffield Hallam University 20100701. : , pp. .
Internet publications (1)
- Bamford K (2012), Jean-Francois Lyotard
Encyclopedia people profile. The Literary Encyclopedia
- Bamford K; Harvey R (2018), 'Get my Drift?' A conversation on Lyotard's Legacy with a consideration of 'J-F Lyotard: Critical Lives' by Kiff Bamford; Robert Harvey (Distinguished Professor, Stony Brook University) and Kiff Bamford (Leeds Beckett University, UK).