Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Robert Shail
About Professor Robert Shail
Having worked in academia for over 20 years, including previously being Head of Department at the University of Wales, Lampeter, Robert joined Leeds Beckett University in 2015 to lead research development in the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts. He also teaches film history in the Northern Film School.
His research interests cover postwar British cinema, gender identity in film, comics books, and children's cinema. He has published widely in these areas. His study of the Children's Film Foundation, which was supported by a Leverhulme Fellowship, have been published by Palgrave-Macmillan/BFI in 2015.
- Film Art
- Critical Practice
Robert’s research has focused mainly on the history of post-war British cinema with a particular interest in the work of key directors and on stardom. His book on Welsh star/producer Stanley Baker was supported by an AHRC award and his book on director Tony Richardson was published by Manchester University Press. More recent work has focused on children's media including an essay on Beryl the Peril and completion of his study of the Children's Film Foundation. This work has fed into current debates on the future of children's media in the UK.
Journal articles (6)
- Shail RS (2016), A FILM FROM WALES: WELSH IDENTITY AND THE CHILDREN'S FILM FOUNDATION. Cylchgrawn Hanes Cymru / Welsh History Review, vol. 28 (2), p. 363-378.
View Repository Record
- Shail R (2014), Anarchy in the UK: Reading Beryl the Peril via historic conceptions of childhood. Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, vol. 5 (3), p. 257-265.
View Repository Record
- Shail RS (2009), Terence Fisher and British Science Fiction Cinema. Science Fiction Film and Television
- Shail RS (2004), Stanley Baker's 'Welsh western': Masculinity and Cultural Identity in Zulu. Cyfrwng: Media Wales Journal
- Shail RS (2003), London and the Provinces: Place and Masculinity in 1960s British Cinema. Film and Film Culture
- Shail RS (2001), Masculinity and Visual Representation: A Butlerian Approach to Dirk Bogarde. The Journal of Sexuality and Gender Studies
- Shail R (2016) The Children's Film Foundation History and Legacy. . Palgrave Macmillan.
- Shail R (2012) Tony Richardson. . Manchester University Press.
- Shail R (2008) Stanley Baker A Life in Film. . .
- Shail R (2008) Seventies British cinema. . Palgrave MacMillan.
- Shail R (2007) British film directors: A critical guide. . .
- Shail RS (2016) 'For the benefit of old boys, young boys, odd boys generally, and even girls': the irresistible rise of the British comic, 1875-1900. In: Shail RS The Making of English Popular Culture. : Routledge, pp. .
- Shail RS (2010) Stanley Baker and British Lion: A Cautionary Tale. In: Shail RS Don't Look Now: British Cinema in the 1970s. Bristol: Intellect, pp. .
- Shail RS (2009) Historical Specificity of Stardom: Terence Stamp in the 1960s. In: Shail RS Stellar Encounters: Stardom in Popular European Cinema. New Barnet: John Libbery, pp. .
- Shail RS (2005) Officers and Gentlemen: Masculinity in Powell and Pressburger's War Films. In: Shail RS The Cinema of Michael Powell: International Perspectives on an English Film-maker. London: BFI, pp. .
- Shail RS (2004) Masculinity and Class: Michael Caine as "Working-Class Hero. In: Shail RS The Trouble with Men: Masculinities in European and Hollywood Cinema. London: Wallflower, pp. .
- Shail RS (2004) Masculinity, Kurt Russell and the Escape Films. In: Shail RS The Technique of Terror: The Films of John Carpenter. London: Wallflower, pp. .
- Influence of Jason Statham on film industry explored in book by Leeds Beckett academics
- University backs bid to relocate Channel 4 to Leeds
- Prize launched to create experimental film with Leeds Beckett and Leeds International Film Festival
- Day to celebrate the world’s first moving images, shot in Leeds