Rainbow Rose Forum
Our University's LGBT group is a network for matters related to sexual orientation equality and is open to all staff and students.
Leeds Beckett University is a strong supporter of lesbian, gay and bisexual equality. We are a Stonewall 'Diversity Champion', demonstrating our dedication to equality for LGBT staff and students. In 2015 our LGBT forum, Rainbow Rose also received the Highly Commended Network Group Award.
This reflects the range of activities, networks and committed individuals who make Leeds Beckett an inclusive place to work and study. For further information on the Stonewall Top 100 Workplace Employer Index, please see 'Our successes' below.
LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender and sexual orientation is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.
- To provide a safe, confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss issues relating to sexual orientation including Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) identity;
- To provide support and networking and share best practice across all equality strands;
- To assist in the monitoring and reporting on compliance with equality and diversity legislation and good practice;
- To contribute to the development of policies directly relating to equality and diversity, and those which indirectly affect equality and diversity issues through the equality impact assessment process.
How can I join?
Rainbow Rose Forum Meetings
- Wednesday 12th September 2018 - 12:00 -14:00 (Portland 407,City Campus)
- Wednesday 6th February 2019 - 12:00 - 14:00 (Headingley Campus)
- Wednesday 5th June 2019 - 12:00 - 14:00 (City Campus)
Stonewall Top 100 Employer
Our University has been a Stonewall Diversity Champion since 2009 and are proud to have been recognised in the Stonewall Top 100 list of employers from 2014 to 2017.
Find out more about Stonewall https://www.stonewall.org.uk/
- Leeds Pride - Sunday 5th August 2018
- Bi-Visibility Day - Sunday 23rd September 2018 www.bivisibilityday.com
- We are hoping to collaborate an event with the Faith Forum (link) as part of National Inclusion Week 2018 (24th to 30th September), an annual opportunity to raise awareness of inclusion in the workplace. (https://www.inclusiveemployers.co.uk/national-inclusion-week/about).
- National Coming Out Day - Thursday 11th October 2018
- World Aids Day - Saturday 1st December 2018 www.worldaidsday.org/about-world-aids-day.php
- The Complete Guide to Studying and Living in the UK as an LGBT student
- Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (FFLAG) is a national voluntary organisation supporting the parents and families of LGB people
- Stonewall is the UK's largest campaigning and lobbying group on LGB issues
- The Rainbow List (Pink List until 2014) is produced annually by The Independent to celebrate the contributions of individuals from the LGB communities.
The Rainbow List
- Jewish and Gay Lesbian Group is an organization that supports gay and lesbian Jewish people
- Quest is a Group for Lesbian and Gay Catholics. It has a network of local groups across the country which meets regularly for Mass, discussion and social events
- Imaan supports LGBT Muslim people, their families and friends, to address issues of sexual orientation within Islam
- Sarbat is a national organisation that provides information and resources for Sikhs who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered
- The Gender Trust – a charitable organisation dealing with gender
- Leeds Pride
- Switchboard LGBT+ , a support network, which has national links
- Leeds Pride 2018
- Leeds Pride 2018 Playlist available on Spotify
- Leeds Equalities Assembly
- LGBT Sports Club
- LGBT Leeds
- Leeds Freedom Quarter
- Where does the Rainbow Rose flag come from?
At Leeds Beckett we are committed to gender identity equality and value the diversity of our university community. Our Code of Practice on Trans Equality and Gender Identity sets out our responsibilities for trans students and staff. You can find out more information on our Trans Support page.
Yorkshire Trans* Support Network
Yorkshire Trans* Support Network is a Yorkshire based social and support group for all Trans* people, their families and friends. It runs various social groups, including one in Leeds. You can find out more here:
The making of 'Mathew & Me'
In this short documentary Professor David Carless talks about his one-man show ‘Mathew & Me”, about song-writing, sexuality, same sex attraction and growing up in the hegemonically masculine world of sport. Here he shares insights about how music and songs provide a medium through which others can access or share feelings of silence, isolation, shame and challenge homophobia.