Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Rosemary Wyatt-Millington
About Dr Rosemary Wyatt-Millington
Roz is an experienced academic in electronic engineering with a passion for employability and student experience.
Roz is joined Leeds Beckett University in January 2017 after over 14 years lecturing at the University of Bradford. Previous to that she was a PG student and a research assistant at Bradford with a year spent in the USA as a guest researcher. She studied at UG level at Queens' College, Cambridge.
She is Employability Lead for the Computing & Engineering Subject Group area as well as Course Leader for the BEng Electronic & Electrical Engineering. Her research interests are wide and varied although she started out in the wireless, mobile & satellite communications field and her PhD is in satellite communications. She has an interest in how technology can improve life and student experience and in supporting students with additional needs.
She is a chartered engineer, a member of the IET and the IEEE.
Currently Roz teaches on Digital Electronics, Embedded Systems and Instrumentation & Control modules to EEE and Robotics & Automation students, along with Communication Systems to EEE students. She also teaches on Mobile & Cellular Systems to Computer Science students and provides Maths support to level 4 and Level 5 engineering students within CCTE.
Roz is involved with the Erasmus funded IMAGE project which is looking at how to boost job prospects for students with autism who tend to have lower employment rates after graduation. The project aims to address this employment gap by focusing on the transition from higher education into the world of work, and the support universities can provide during this transition. She is involved with the work as employability lead for the Computing & Engineering group as well as due to personal experience with autism.
Technically Roz's major areas of interest are split between wireless communications, networking and embedded systems. She has a particular interest in the emerging use of embedded systems for enabling Smart systems and the Internet of Things. Over the years her research has been diverse including working on projects sponsored by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, the European Space Agency and Inmarsat, the EU, the Indian Satellite Research Organisation and Innovate UK sponsored projects with Thales.
Journal articles (4)
- Pillai A; Hu YF; Halliwell RA (2015), 10.1002/sat.1080. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking
View Repository Record
- Wyatt-Millington RA; Sheriff RE; Hu YF (2007), Performance analysis of satellite payload architectures for mobile services. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 43 (1), p. 197-213.
- Gharavi H; Chin F; Ban K; Wyatt-Millington R (2003), A link-level simulator of the cdma2000 reverse-link physical layer. Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, vol. 108 (4), p. 299-321.
- Chan PML; Wyatt-Millington RA; Svigelj A; Sheriff RE; Hu YF; Conforto P; Tocci C (2002), Performance analysis of mobility procedures in a hybrid space terrestrial IP environment. Computer Networks, vol. 39 (1), p. 21-41.
- Pillai A; Hu YF; Halliwell R (2013) An Adaptive Connection Admission Control Algorithm for UMTS Based Satellite System with Variable Capacity Supporting Multimedia Services. In: Pillai A; Hu YF; Halliwell R Personal Satellite Services. : Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 9-16.