Sustainability

Student Sustainability Conference 2019 Meet the Presenters: Suyin Chia

This blog series  introduced the presenters for the 2019 Leeds Beckett Student Sustainability Conference. You can find more details and tickets for the conference here https://lbussc2019.eventbrite.co.uk 

Published on 28 Aug 2019

Meet Suyin, a second year Dietetics student from Singapore.

“I’ve always been keen on issues regarding the environment and sustainability, but it was only since I’ve moved to the UK that I felt like I wanted to do more to fight climate change. The situation of climate change is becoming increasingly dire, and we need to realize this and act on it, before it leads to distressing consequences.

I am currently studying Dietetics, and my interests lay in nutrition and the environment. I began to wonder if I would be able to merge two of my interests together. After all, our food system plays a significant role in issues like Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHGs), the use of plastics and packaging, and energy consumption. What about our health? What diet would be optimal for the environment as well as my well-being? Might I have to follow a vegan diet? What if I require more protein? What about dairy, and fish? In finding that balance between our health and sustainability, the questions are endless.

As a result, I’ve chosen to do a presentation on what a Sustainable diet looks like, considering our health as well as the health of the planet. I also want to consider how feasible it is to adopt such a diet.

For me, I see this as an opportunity to learn more about food and the environment, something that I am genuinely interested in. Knowing more allows me to expand my understanding, spreading the word, and hopefully help to inspire change in others. As more of us make positive changes, collectively, it will make a difference to planetary health.”

Hear Suyin's presentation at Leeds Beckett's first Student Sustainability Conference. Get your ticket here.