Student Blog Squad | Blog

My experience at Sugarwell Court

Hi there, my name is Dorothy and I’m a final year student at Leeds Beckett. I’m here to tell you about my experience living in Sugarwell Court halls in first-year.

My experience at Sugarwell Court

Moving into halls is a great option for anyone starting university as it gives you the opportunity to interact with more people and make new friends. However, it can be difficult to decide which halls are the right option for you. Luckily, there are students like me who can tell you about their experiences (the good, the bad and the ugly), to help you make that all-important decision!

So, read on to learn a bit more about what it what it was like living in Sugarwell Court…

How did I get placed in Sugarwell Court?

At Leeds Beckett, you have to submit an application form once you’ve got your university place, in which you state your top choices for accommodation. Then, the university will contact you to let you know whether you’ve secured a place in any of your top choices. If there is no availability in your ideal accommodation, you’ll be put in the next best option - which was the case with me.

Admittedly, it’s a bit disappointing when you don’t get your first choice, however, it’s important to remember that your halls don’t define your university experience, so you can have a good time no matter where you’re placed.

Where is Sugarwell Court?

One of the biggest disadvantages of living in Sugarwell Court is its distance from City Campus, which is where I was based. On a good day you could get power-walk and get to the Rose Bowl in around 25 minutes, but walking at a normal pace would get you there in 30-35 minutes. If you are based at Headingley Campus it would take you around 45 minutes to get to uni.

On the bright side, there’s a bus stop right outside the halls and they arrive on a regular basis and are as cheap as £1 to get you into the city centre. In addition to this, Sugarwell Court is based in Meanwood, where there is a small retail park, supermarkets like Aldi, Waitrose and Asda and local restaurants within walking distance.

So you don’t have to venture too far if you fancy a change of scenery from the city centre!

Is it easy to make friends there?

Yes! I was lucky enough to be placed with great people in halls, so it wasn’t difficult to make friends and meet people. However, even if you’re not a fan of your flatmates, the layout of Sugarwell makes it easy for you to meet other people in your building, so you’ll be sure to find someone you get along with living here.

What are the best things about living in Sugarwell Court?

I’d say the best thing about living there is definitely the people! Maybe it was the fact that we were away from the city centre, but the people I encountered at Sugarwell were really friendly and welcoming and willing to socialise, so that made my experience even more pleasant.

Arguably, I’d say the location was a plus too. Although you were a while away from the university campuses, you were still close to places like Headingley and Meanwood, which meant you were never too far away from the action.

Advice for anyone considering Sugarwell Court

Here are a few words of wisdom for those considering living in Sugarwell Court:

• Learn to get up early
    If you want to make those 9ams, you’re going to need to learn to get up early in order to give yourself enough time to walk to City Campus. Alternatively, make sure you know the bus timetable like the back of your hand so you can enjoy those precious extra minutes in bed!
  • Get to know the people in your block
    Sugarwell is separated into blocks, so it’s likely that you’ll bump into the same people going to and from uni each day. That’s why it helps to get to know people in your block, so you’ll have a friendly face to walk to uni with each day, or someone close by if you fancy a chat!
  • Make the most of the local area
    Don’t be disheartened by the fact that you’re not right in the city centre, as there are lots of things for students to do nearby. Why not take a trip to the celebrated Zuccos Italian in Meanwood or visit the adorable animals at Meanwood Valley Urban Farm if you’re stuck for things to on your free days?

View more student stories about accommodation at Leeds Beckett.

Posted in

Tags:

About the Author

Dorothy profile picture

Dorothy

Hi, my name is Dorothy Edgar and I'm a final-year marketing student at Leeds Beckett University. My favourite pastimes include creating content and travelling around the world and learning about different cultures.

Archive

Syndication