Back in February UKCEM offered yet another amazing opportunity for all students to work on a live brief to create a centre piece for either a visitor entrance or village green for BBC Countryfile Live.

It sounded amazing as the successful design would receive a 2-week paid placement with SME London, one of the world's most innovative and experienced event companies, and their work would be featured on national TV. Naturally I jumped at this fantastic opportunity and submitted a design for each category.

At the end of April, entries were judged with the help of Dee Reid, Director of External Relations at Leeds Beckett, as a guest judge. To my surprise, I was fortunate enough to be shortlisted for both my ideas, along with 5 other students. Our designs were then sent to SME London for them to cast the final vote.

At the beginning of July, I received the news that my design had been chosen as the winner. My design consisted of a giant, 5m high, wellington boot featuring the BBC Countryfile logos and imagery. I felt that the wellington boot was an impactful and recognisable representation of farming and the countryside. I was also really inspired to create something that would give attendees a lasting memory, with the aim to create a perfect photo opportunity for all to remember the event by.

Following this exciting news, I worked closely with the SME London team to take my wellington boot from concept to reality and I was also invited to Countryfile Live at Castle Howard to see the real thing. It was amazing to see my work come to life. I was overwhelmed by how many people were enjoying the installation and taking photos with their family - I do hope it helped them remember the occasion.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Leeds Beckett and UKCEM for providing yet another fantastic opportunity for all of us. I am now in the process of organising my 2-week placement with SME London which is very exciting. I really looking forward to working with such an innovative and experienced event company.

Dr Lucy Laville, Course Director BA (Hons) Events Management, said “This project is a brilliant example of the opportunities students have at UKCEM, supported by a dedicated team. They gain experience of the world of work alongside their academic studies. We are all delighted and very proud of Eleanor’s success in this competition and look forward to sharing more of our students’ achievements over the coming year.”.

Find out more about the courses we offer at the UK Centre for Events Management.