carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Sport, Physical Activity and Health alumni Shania Boom discusses her new role, some career highlights and her time at Leeds Beckett University

Former student Shania Boom, a recent graduate of the Sport, Physical Activity and Health course tells us about her time at university, securing her job at the Yorkshire Sport Foundation and some of her highlights so far.

Published on 17 Jan 2020
Shania smiling in front of Yorkshire sport foundation signage

“When visiting other universities, the only options which seemed to be available to me were Physical Education or Sport Science. I wanted to work more within the community, with real people not just athletes, so for me the Sport, Physical Activity and Health course at Leeds Beckett was the perfect balance of everything I was passionate about.

Being part of a good year group who really valued and cared about their degree made my experience at university incredible, I was so lucky to have made friends for life

My degree was fundamental in securing my first role with The Daily Mile, everything I learnt at university could be transferred to this position. The teaching I received whilst on the course meant that my knowledge and understanding of physical activity set me apart from others and really contributed to me being successfully appointed, where others may have had more experience. My role as The Daily Mile local coordinator saw me working within primary schools to get children more physically active during the school day. I got this role through one of my course leaders inviting me to a conference, where I met my manager. After chatting to him he sent through the job descriptions for the role and the rest is history!

I recently secured a new role within the Yorkshire Sport Foundation as a Local Development Officer for Bradford and Calderdale. Here I will be working within the community to help increase sport and physical activity.  Although I’m still relatively early on in my career, speaking on the panel at Big Tent Ideas Festival alongside Director of Children and Young People at Sport England, British Judo gold medallist and a top female sport journalist has absolutely been career highlight.

My advice to someone looking to do a degree like mine would be do anything and everything extra that you can, you'll be grateful afterwards for taking the opportunities.”