[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Registering with the Police

Do I need to register with the police?

Students who hold passports from Commonwealth or EC countries do not usually have to register with the police but you should check for specific instructions stamped in your passport on arrival. Other students holding travel documents/identity cards are usually required to register with the police. If you are from one of the following countries you will need to register with the police; Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Columbia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

When should I register with the police?

You should register within seven days of arrival in Leeds, you should register at the nearest police station within seven days of your arrival in the UK.  You must then report your change of address and any other changes to the Leeds Immigration and Nationality Department within seven days of your arrival in Leeds.

Plus Icon What will happen when my leave to remain visa is due to expire?

A letter will be sent to you from the Immigration and Nationality Department reminding you that your leave to remain is due to expire. Please reply as requested in the letter.

Application for extensions of stay in the UK should be made approximately 4-6 weeks BEFORE your existing leave expires.

For more information on how to do this and the help you can get from the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team, please attend one of the visa workshops:

Student Hub, Rose Bowl, City Campus
Wednesdays 15:00-17:00
Fridays 10:00-12:00

Do I need to inform the police when I go home at the end of my stay?

Contact the Immigration and Nationality Department before you leave and let them know the date you are leaving.

You can contact them by phone or e-mail.

Plus Icon What do I need to take with me when I register with police?

You will need to take (per person):

  • Your completed police registration form obtainable from the West Yorkshire Police (www.westyorkshire.police.uk) website by Downloading – Registration with the Police (PDF document)
  • Your passport
  • 1 passport size photograph
  • Confirmation of your status in the UK (i.e. study letter)
  • The administration fee of £34.00 for each passport. There is no reduction for married couples registering together.

How long does the police registration form last?

The police registration form lasts indefinitely but if lost it can cost £34.00 to replace.

Plus Icon What happens if any of my circumstances change?

Once registration is completed, you MUST inform the Police of any of the following changes, within seven days.

  • Change of Address
  • Change of College, University,
  • Change of Occupation
  • Change of Course
  • Change of Marital status
  • New Entry Visa granting an extension of stay
  • New Home Office extension to your Visa New Passport or travel document issued
  • Birth of child whilst in the UK

Failure to report changes can result in a fine of up to £5000 and/or face six months in prison. 

Plus Icon How to find the Police Station

The Immigration and Nationality Department
Pudsey and Weetwood Division
Pudsey Police Station
LS28 5TA

Tel (0113) 241 4199
Email: immigration@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

View Larger Map

You do not need an appointment for register with the police but Leeds Beckett students should attend on Thursdays. For more information please visit: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/contact-us/foreign-nationals-registration-scheme

This page was last modified: 24/10/2018

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button