Professor Phil Cardew
About Professor Phil Cardew
Professor Phil Cardew joined Leeds Beckett University in March 2015 as Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic. Phil’s role encompasses leadership of quality and standards, as well as all student-facing services: The Centre for Learning and Teaching, the Distance Learning Unit, Libraries & Learning Innovation, Quality Assurance Services and Services for Students.
Prior to taking up his role, Phil was Pro Vice Chancellor Academic at London South Bank University. He holds a first class BA (Hons) degree in English from the University of Southampton and a PhD from the University of Leeds. Phil has also worked extensively for the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) in the UK, as well as undertaking institutional review activity in Oman, Australia and Hong Kong.
Phil is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the QAA's Advisory Committee on Degree-Awarding Powers.
He is also a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a TEF Assessor and an external adjudicator for the Bar Standards Board.
- Delegates from over 20 countries visit Leeds Beckett for language conference
- Leeds Beckett plays part in HEFCE Teaching Excellence Framework subject level pilots
- Leeds Beckett celebrates Black History Month with series of public events
- Partnership to strengthen trade union education
- Providing an excellent education and experience for all
- National Student Survey raises funds for charity