Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Melanie Chan
About Dr Melanie Chan
Melanie Chan completed a PhD on Representations of Virtual Reality in 2007. She is now Senior Lecturer on the BA (Hons) Media, Communication Cultures programme at Leeds Beckett University.
Her research interests include virtual reality, mobile media and digital culture. She has also published a monograph "Virtual Reality: Representations in Contemporary Media (Bloomsbury, 2014)" and ‘Environmentalism and The Animated Landscape in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke’ as part of the edited collection The Animated Landscape (Bloomsbury, 2015). Other published work includes the chapter ‘Place, Play and Privacy: Exploring Location-Based Applications and Spatial Experience’ In Digital Futures and the City of Today (Intellect, 2016).
Current modules include:
- Interpreting New Media
- Introduction to Media and Cultural Studies
- Cinematic Identities
Melanie's work aims to contribute to critical perspectives on contemporary media especially in relation to embodiment and technologically mediated experience.
- Cultural Studies & Humanities Good News
- Where does your favourite recipe come from? Volunteers sought for new research into our cooking habits
- Leeds public invited to share their app-etite for celebrity chefs at free event
- Cultural Studies & Humanities August Good News