As a school we support the University's commitment to building a reputation for research.
Research in Art & Design at Leeds Beckett University is supported through LARC: the Leeds Arts Research Centre which is co-directed by Professor Simon Morris & Professor Robert Shail. LARC sponsors a whole range of activities including conferences, symposiums, lectures, sabbaticals and exhibitions. LARC promotes our research internally and externally via its website:
Our aim for research impact in Art & Design is working with young people in the community on social arts projects, working to highlight and provide solutions for intransigent social problems, designing sustainable materials for the future, and raising awareness of spatial and human rights for refugees and immigrants, displaced through conflict.
Our strengths in the School include performance, feminism, new media and experimental art practice.
Our 56 academic staff are acknowledged as making a significant contribution to research internationally which can be demonstrated by the awards they have been shortlisted for and won as well as their outputs this REF cycle which include a total of 27 books/monographs, 31 book chapters, 39 Journal articles, 100 conference contributions, 207 exhibitions, 67 live performances, 32 radio and film broadcasts, eight residencies, 7 commissions and 14 collaborations with other HE providers and 66 public lectures, including keynote presentations.
- a state of the art workshop run by highly skilled technicians that can facilitate work in wood, plastic, metal and 3-D laser printing
- a fully resourced printmaking workshop, run by highly skilled learning support officers that can offer screenprinting, relief primnting, etching, book binding and letter press
- a well resourced photographic studio run by highly skilled learning support officers that can offer studio and lighting facilities as well as digital and chemical printing. Specialist equipment can be borrowed for project work in the field.
- Over 30 lectures by renowned international experts in art & design can be viewed in full here: leedsbeckett.ac.uk/larc/lecture-series
- A large library of specialist art & design publications and access to databases and online resources