Harry Meadley, who graduated from the BA (Hons) Fine Art course in 2009, has had a piece acquired by Leeds Art Gallery. The work, currently on display in newly reopened Leeds Art Gallery is part of 'How The Light Gets In, New Collection Displays’ an exhibition of recent acquisitions for the Leeds Art Gallery Collection.
Acquired in 2012: a good five years Harry Meadley, 2011 Quink
Harry recently completed a major public commission, an eight episode video series ‘On the Bench’, commissioned by UP Projects for The Floating Cinema’s 2017 tour. You can view it here.
Benjamin Murray Allan who studied BA (Hons) Architecture with us and graduated in 2011 with a first class honours degree has been shortlisted for the RIBA Rising Stars shortlist. Benjamin, who is director at estudio b is one of 16 practitioners shortlisted by the RIBA Journal. Shortlisted designers have all achieved beyond their own projects to bring value in many other ways to their practices, their clients and the wider communities they work with.
Anna Pepe, Senior Lecturer in the School of Art, Architecture and Design, has been recently curated into the following exhibitions:
- ”Travel”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place at Blank Wall Gallery, 55 Fokionos Negri Street, 1361, Athens, Greece. The exhibition opened on 22nd September 2017 and closed on 5th October 2017.
- “Landscape”, an international juried photography exhibition taking place at Blank Wall Gallery, 55 Fokionos Negri Street, 1361, Athens, Greece, with a photo entitled “Rural England”.
This year has seen a significant increase in interest in the concept of urban forestry, landscape urbanism and urban futures across the world, and Leeds Beckett is now part of this International Network.
Alan Simson, Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urban Forestry in the School, has been presenting at a number of conferences over the summer including:
- The 20th Anniversary Conference of the European Forum on urban Forestry, Barcelona.
- The National Urban Design Group Conference, Manchester.
- The 2nd Asian-Pacific Urban Forestry Meeting, Seoul, South Korea.
- The 125th Anniversary Conference of the International Union of Forestry Research Organisations (IUFRO), Freiburg, Germany.
- An International Roundtable at the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
Dr Kiff Bamford presented a paper at the research seminar ‘Jean-François Lyotard: Power of the Word’, held at Leeds University in October. The title of Kiff’s paper was ‘Powerlessness and the Word: Lyotard’s Breathless Hesitation’; it was followed by a paper presented by Katie Crabtree (PhD candidate at Leeds Trinity) for whom Kiff is acting as an external advisor.
A modelling materials library has been created within the Design Product space on the fourth-floor studio space, in Broadcasting Place. The space features a materials resource, a changing display of books and magazines and material samples to illustrate different making processes.
Second year students recently took part in the Design Product live client project: ‘Illuminate’. The students were briefed to design a pendant light that could be manufactured and would appeal to Snowhome’s customer profile. Students have presented to the client and the products in the photos below have achieved viability for manufacture and sale.