[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Visas and Support

Visas and immigration

At Leeds Beckett we can provide support and advice about many issues which may affect you as an international student - our Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team (SIAC) has an office in Leighton Hall on our Headingley Campus.

Here are just a few of the things SIAC can help you with:

  • immigration & visas (including visa extensions)
  • family visits
  • police registration
  • changing immigration status
  • employment
  • work after studies

Our advice is available free of charge and follows the Rules and Code of Standards of the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration Agency.

Contact the team

Contact the International Advice Service Team:

How to obtain a Visa

The UK Government introduced the Points Based System (PBS) of immigration for students. You will need to prove that you have the required number of points in order to make an application for your visa. You need to have 40 points altogether; 30 of these are obtained by providing a visa letter from Leeds Beckett University; the remaining 10 points are obtained by proving that you have the correct finances to support your study and your living and accommodation costs.

Financial evidence for Tier 4 visas

In order to qualify for a Tier 4 visa you will need to provide evidence that you have enough money to pay for your course fees and your living costs while you are in the UK. The Home Office refers to this as the maintenance (funds) requirements.

Maintenance must be in the form of cash funds. You cannot use evidence of other types of finances, such as shares, bonds or a pension fund. You also cannot use an overdraft facility. The amount of money that you need to have for your maintenance will depend on:

  • how long your courses lasts and
  • where you will be studying in the UK

Please ensure you read the following downloadable information carefully as it is important that you know how to provide evidence that you meet the maintenance requirement when making your Tier 4 visa application.

English language requirements for Tier 4 visas

For applicants requiring a Tier 4 visa for study for one of our courses at degree level and above (NQF level 6 and above) we will accept these English language qualifications as being equivalent to IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5 (CEFR B2).  Please note that some courses will have a higher English language requirement – please refer to the online prospectus for more information. If you are applying for a course below degree level (NQF level 5 and below) then you must have an English language qualification from the UKVI list of Secure English Language Tests (SELT) – further information on this can be found here.  

If you are not sure whether your English language qualification meets our entry requirements please don’t hesitate to contact the International Office either by email or by phone on +44 113 812 1111.  

Credibility interviews

As part of the Tier 4 visa application process the Home Office has introduced credibility interviews. As part of your visa application you may be required to attend an online interview where you will be asked a series of questions about your intended course and study destination in the UK. We highly recommend that you prepare for these interviews in advance so that you are confident in answering any questions about your intention to study in the UK. To help with this we have provided some points that you should consider when preparing for a credibility interview.

Immigration Health Surcharge

From 6 April 2015 all students applying for Tier 4 visas in order to study in the UK for six months or longer must pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to enable them to access any National Health Service (NHS) services.  For further information please refer to the following links:

Biometric Residence Permits

As of 18 March 2015 the Home Office has begun to introduce Biometric Residence Permits (BRP) for those applying for Tier 4 visas from outside of the UK. For more information please refer to the following links:

Successful applicants of Tier 4 visas for study of six months or more will be required to collect their BRP from a UK Post Office. In order to work out which Post Office to collect your BRP from you will need to enter accurate information in your visa application regarding your accommodation in the UK. Further information on this can be found in the following link:

International FAQs

Plus Icon Do I need to attend a course interview?
Certain courses require an interview as part of the entrance requirements. Please note that this is a requirement of our University and not part of the immigration process. This information is detailed in the course requirements section of the Online Prospectus. Please note: You will be required to evidence your English language ability through one of the qualifications listed in our University entrance requirements. This cannot be met through interview alone.
Plus Icon How will I make friends with other students?
To help you make friends with other international and home students, we run a mentor scheme and an International Social Network. Leeds Beckett International Mentors gives new students the opportunity to make new friends quickly and to benefit from the support and advice of current students keen to share their experience. We also run an International Social Network, which holds social activities and trips through-out the year and keeps you up to date with part-time work and other important information. For more details of all our mentor scheme or social network, please email Kathryn Firth.
Plus Icon What are the annual living costs?
In addition to tuition fees, we recommend that you budget to cover other costs, including accommodation, food, transport and social activities

It is difficult to suggest to you exactly how much money you will need to support yourself, as each person's circumstances will be different, but please see below for guidance:

Living expenses (including accommodation): ££9,135
Please note that these living expenses are estimated and dependent on your lifestyle.

Check out www.studentcalculator.org.uk/international/ for great advice and tools to help you plan and manage your budget whilst studying in the UK.
Plus Icon How can I get help with my visa and the immigration process?
Our Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team (SIAC), based in Leighton Hall on our Headingley Campus can offer advice on immigration and visa matters (including visa extensions).

Our advice is available free of charge and follows the Rules and Code of Standards of the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration Agency.

Email us for support with visa and immigration etc. or find out more on the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team website.

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button