University Business Centres
Business Advantage Awards
I have set up and run a business myself” said Russell Davidson, Director at Lupton Fawcett, “So I know how tough it can be in the early stages. Through our award scheme we would like to support the next generation of high flying entrepreneurs, to do our part in creating the stars of the future and supporting job creation and growth within the local economyRussell Davidson, Director at Lupton Fawcett
Access over £6000 of free legal, accountancy and banking advice and support.
The Business Advantage Awards is an annual competition delivered in partnership with Leeds law firm Lupton Fawcett, accountants WGN and Yorkshire Bank which provides advice and support to early stage businesses who are looking to grow.
Five awards in total will be presented (one is reserved for a student of Leeds Beckett University / Wakefield College). Each winner will receive:
• Up to 50 hours of legal support and mentoring, valued at over £6000, from a solicitor with expertise in fields such as Intellectual Property, employment law, taxation and premises legal support.
• £1000 of accountancy support will be provided by WGN
• 36 months free business banking from Yorkshire Bank.
In the last 4 years, 21 businesses have benefited from the Awards.
The competition is open to clients of the University Business Centres in Leeds, Wakefield and Halifax, students and recent graduates of Leeds Beckett University (within 5 years of graduation) and to businesses receiving support from the Ad:Venture programme. To enter complete a simple application form by 27th February 2019. Shortlisted finalists will be asked to pitch to a panel of judges in March 2019.
“’The support and advice given to us via the Award has proven to be invaluable, we have set up business banking with Yorkshire bank and have used Lupton Fawcett to form employee contracts and a shareholders agreement. This has given us a solid foundation and huge cost savings. We have 100 cleaners ready to be approved onto our platform, the final hurdle is ensuring everything is technically efficient before we hopefully launch in November.”
The winner in 2018 were:
• Eat Fish Design – a design consultancy based in the Leeds Digital Hub who specialise in translating technically complex products into visually engaging media
• Love Bomb Cushions – a manufacturer of licensed novelty cushions which successfully received 3 offers of investment as a result of being on the BBC’s in Dragons Den
• FluidIT Consulting – an IT consultancy based in the Leeds Digital Hub which provides bespoke IT Solutions for companies undergoing business change initiatives
• Butterfly Tree Bags – a company who create handcrafted bags using Yorkshire wool and leather and are based in the Leeds Creative Hub.
• City Cleaner 2 U – a group of 4 Leeds Beckett graduates who have created a domestic cleaning platform connecting customers to cleaners through a website or app.
Find out more about our partners and how they support our Centres