The main central area of the ground floor will be cordoned off, and access to and from the Library will be via the corridor running round the edge of the central area.
The refurbishment, which is due to be completed by early September, will lead to a better arrangement of study space and service desks. A new reception desk will be created to enable us to help visitors coming into the Library. There will also be a new Advice Point providing Student IT support and library advice. Additionally, the carpet, paint, and furniture will be refreshed, improving the look of the ground floor significantly!
The location of some services may change at different stages of the project—please look for signs if you are visiting, or check our webpage and FAQs and Twitter. Information about key services can be found below:
- Student IT support and library advice: JG133 on the first floor (the Print Room)
- Borrow and Return: ground floor
- Kiosks for topping up printing accounts: ground floor
- Laptop lockers: ground floor
- Holds: on the corridor outside JG132a
- Printers: black & white and colour printers can be found in the first floor Book Room
- Media Equipment and Staff IT Support: ground floor
This summer also sees the refurbishment of the Student Meeting Rooms. When completed they will include:
- New IT/AV equipment, similar to those in the student meeting rooms at the Sheila Silver Library. Each room will feature a large display screen which can be used either with your laptop or the PC provided.
- New furniture, carpet and decor
- A mixture of different furniture layouts for more options for group work.
The rooms should be available again at the start of term. In the meantime please ask at the Advice Point if you need help finding somewhere to study.
The Disability Resource Area is also currently unavailable as it undergoes refurbishment. The Disability Resource Area in Sheila Silver Library is available to use. Equipment from the Disability Resource Area is available to borrow from the Advice Point on the first floor (JG132a) and the CCTV magnifier has been moved to the first floor print room (JG133). There is a range of assistive software available on all Library PCs, please see the Software page for more information.